10.30.2013

A Fur Momma's Worst Nightmare

Last night as Steven and I were finishing up dinner we looked over at our sweet Kane and noticed something was wrong with his skin. He had what looked like large bumps covering his entire body. My first thought was that he was having a skin reaction and we needed to get him in the bath and wash off whatever it was that had irritated his skin. It was only after we put him in the bathtub that we noticed the swelling and the blood on top of his head. We knew he needed to get help. I was terrified that he had been bit by a spider or worse, a snake.

At 8:00 last night Steven and I hauled ass to the only emergency animal hospital in Birmingham. By the time we got there the swelling in his face and neck had gotten worse and the underneath of his belly was beginning to turn a blueish color. I was panicking.

The vet technician came right out to greet us and immediately took Kane to the back to be treated. About 15 minutes later (which felt like hours) we were brought back to see him and speak with the vet. They shaved his head to take a look at the bite and immediately gave him a steroid shot and a Benadryl shot. Thankfully it wasn't a snake bit.

After checking him over and giving him the shots they kept him in the back for another hour or so to observe him and make sure the hives were disappearing and the swelling was going down. The shots had worked. We were able to take our baby home.

We got home and in bed around midnight last night and I was up every hour checking on Kane. He slept in my arms all night long and hardly moved a muscle. By the time we woke up this morning the swelling in his face was completely gone and he was back to his old self (maybe a bit more drowsy than normal).

I'm so thankful that our baby is home safe and sound and that his bite/allergic reaction wasn't anything more serious. There is no worse feeling than seeing your animal hurting and helpless.

21 comments :

  1. I'm glad to hear Kane is okay!! must've been terrifying! i totally agree with you that nothing is worse than seeing your fur baby hurt and helpless:(( my pup broke his leg awhile back and had to wear a cast which took up his whole leg making it hard for him to move. it broke my heart a little everyday until it was removed

    ReplyDelete
  2. so scary, girlie. makes me want to snuggle my little fur baby a little harder today. thanks for sharing. so thankful he's fine!!!!!

    xx
    elise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I'm glad he's better now! I know the feeling as a fellow fur Mom. My dog has the same markings as Kane - tan and white except Murphy's ears stick straight up. I love the picture of him sleeping on the couch. Poor pup...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tough story to share, very happy that he is Ok and what a fantastic photo montage. Your pictures show us what a cute pup he is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Talk about a terrifying experience. I am so glad he is ok. They never were able to pinpoint what it was exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! That is horrible I am glad that Kane is doing much better today! How scary is it, I think it's worse because they can't tell us what happened, they just look at you with sad eyes. I am glad it wasn't too serious and you were able to bring him home soon after he was treated!
    I had a emergency stint with my fur baby so I completely understand!♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's so terrifying! I'm glad everything worked out. Your dog is adorbs! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor thing! So glad that he is okay... it's awful when something happens to our four-legged children. He is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor baby!! So glad he is feeling better I would have been freaking out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad he is okay!! That is so terrifying!! It breaks my heart whenever my puppy is sick so I can only imagine the panic! Glad he is better and hopefully snoozing away is puppy bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh goodness! That kind of stuff always terrifies me! My furbabies are my babies. Plain and simple!

    ReplyDelete
  12. poor baby, we've had a similar issue with Pearl, we keep kids benadryl on hand and thankfully haven't gone to the vet yet. did they say what it could have been?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor baby! He is so sweet! Glad to hear he's ok. We've had similar scares with our pups. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. do they know what the bite was from? so glad he's doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad he's ok!! What a doll baby!!- we had a super bad scare with Miss Emma right before our wedding in September- she was hit by a car but came back ok- unbelievable! Love our fur babies! by the way, I've nominated you for The Sunshine Award- The details are on my blog! Thanks Morgan! :) http://jessisdesign.blogspot.com/2013/10/thanks-to-miss-taylor-tattered-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. love your blog! and glad your pup is doing fine! new follower here
    Delightful Ideas
    $45 Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  17. poor thing! i don't care what anyone says - pets are like kids! they're with you, in your lives, growing with your family and part of your memories so when something happens, YOU PANIC and rightly so. i'm glad that he's ok! he's so cute!

    -kathy
    Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG! I missed this post but thankfully Kane is okay! I know what it's like to be scared like that. It reminds me of when my little guy got a sandspur stuck in the back of his throat. He was acting all weird and I had "mother's instinct". I rushed him to the animal hospital and they had to pull it out with hempstats. It was awful. It's so scary when our fur babies are hurt because they can't speak to us. I'm so glad your baby is okay!

    ugottahavehart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to hear your baby is okay! I know I would be terrified if that was my pup.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh! It is seriously the scariest worst nightmare ever! Glad to hear Kane is ok!!
    My dog had similar bumps after jumping around in the bushes. He swelled up and had red bumps all over his body! I was at work when my fiance told me, and of course I was panicking and wasn't able to get any work done!! Worst nightmare ever.. They gave him a benadryl shot too! So Scary!

    showeredwithdesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete